New Orleans, Louisiana—The Southern University Jaguars (1-1) outlast Tulane University (1-1) by a score of 73-70 inside Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse on Saturday.
“I’m proud of our guys and the way they fought, said Head Coach Sean Woods. We showed a lot of adversity as we were able to sustain a lead and fought back to keep it. We need to clean up some things, but we have some very competitive games where we have a chance to grow and learn as a team”
- Final Score: Southern 73, Tulane 70
- Records: Southern (1-1, 0-0 SWAC) | Tulane (1-1, 0-0 AAC)
- Location: New Orleans, Louisiana – Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse
- Series: Tulane leads 9-2
How It Happened
- The Jaguars where 5-of-11 from behind the three-point line, being led by P.J. Byrd who was 2-of-3 and Brion Whitley 2-of-4 shooting.
- SU took their largest lead of the first half at the 7:01 mark on a three pointer by Whitley assisted by Jayden Saddler.
- Southern held the lead for 15:16 of the first half.
- Saddler finished the first half with six points and six assists in route to his first double-double of the season.
- The Jaguars were in for another battle as they saw their lead fade away as Tulane was able to put on a run.
- Despite briefly losing the lead, a driving lay-up by Saddler while being fouled and converting on the and one gave the Jags a 63-61 lead with 3:34 left in the game.
- Tulane had a chance late in the game to tie, but a huge block by Tyrone Lyons sealed the deal for the Jaguars with 73-70 being the final.
- Jayden Saddler recorded his first double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 assists.
- P.J. Byrd was one assist shy of his own double-double finishing with 12 points and nine assists.
- Brion Whitley had 12 points and two rebounds.
- Tyrone Lyons had 12 points as well to go along with his six rebounds and two blocks.
Southern University will hit the road to Texas as they will face-off against Rice University on Tuesday, November 16th, with a 7:00pm tip-off.