Courtesy: Grambling Athletics
BATON ROUGE, La. | Trevor Hatton served as the offensive catalyst for Grambling State on Saturday afternoon, driving in five runs as the Tigers cruised to an 11-5 victory over rival Southern University, at Lee-Hines Stadium.
Hatton went 2-for 5 with a three-run home run and a two-RBI triple in back-to-back at-bats. John Garcia, who’s currently second on team in batting average (.371), also had a big day, going 2-for-3 with two-run homer in the seventh inning.
GSU starting pitcher Jacorey Boudreaux (2-2) notched his second consecutive win, working 6.0 innings, allowing three runs on four hits, with six walks and one strikeout.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the top of the second inning, Julian Murphy hit a two-out standup triple to left centerfield. David Valoy Jr. hit a ground ball to second base that looked to be a routine out, however, the SU first baseman couldn’t handle the throw, allowing Murphy to score and put Grambling State (8-15 overall, 3-2 SWAC) up 1-0.
- After Southern (5-17, 2-3) tied the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the second, Trevor Hatton responded in the top of the third, smoking a three-run shot over the left field wall, giving GSU a 4-1 advantage.
- The Jaguars loaded the bases in the bottom of the inning, but Boudreaux and the Grambling State defense limited them to just one run.
- With GSU lead 4-2 in the top of the fifth, Hatton drove in two more runs a stand up triple to left centerfield. Murphy scored Hatton from third on a grounder to first base, extending the Tigers’ lead to 7-2.
- The Jaguars plated a run in the bottom of the sixth to trim the lead to 7-3.
- John Garcia showcased his power in the top of the seventh, smashing a two-run homer to left centerfield, stretching GSU’s lead to 9-3.
- In the eighth inning, Cameron Bufford flied out to cf, but a throwing error by Southern allowed two runs to cross home plate, growing the Grambling State lead to 11-4.
- The Jaguars assed one more run in the ninth inning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Both teams registered seven hits
- Southern committed three errors
- Grambling State made two errors
- GSU stole three bases
- This was the sixth multi-home run game of the season for the Tigers. GSU leads the SWAC in homers (21)
- Roy Peguero made a relief appearance for GSU, working 3.0 innings, allow two runs on three hits to go along with three Ks and one walk
- SU’s Anthony Fidanza (2-3) was saddled with loss, going 5.0 innings, surrendering seven runs on four hits.
Grambling State wraps up its series with Southern on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.