Courtesy of Coppin State Athletics
BALTIMORE – Coppin State picked up several big wins in non-conference play, but couldn’t handle South Carolina State in its MEAC opener.
Final Score: Coppin State 75, South Carolina State 79
Records: Coppin State (4-12, 0-1 MEAC), South Carolina State (6-7, 1-0 MEAC)
Location: Baltimore, Md. (PEC Arena)
Inside the Numbers
- The reigning MEAC Player of the Week, Koby Thomas led four Coppin State players in double figures, matching a career-high with 22 points on 11-of-15 shooting along with five dunks. Thomas also pulled down six rebounds and was credited with a career-high six steals.
- Andrew Robinson scored a career-high 19 points on 7-of-15 shooting while making 5-of-13 from distance. He also grabbed six rebounds.
- Kamar McKnight and Dejuan Clayton added ten points apiece and dished out six and five assists, respectively. Clayton one-upped McKnight in steals with three.
- Reggie James also had his best game of the season with nine points, making all three of his field goals with a pair of threes.
- Coppin outshot South Carolina State, 50.9% to 47.5% but the Bulldogs got to the line more often (14-of-17 to 8-of-11) and outrebounded CSU, 36-26.
- Damani Applewhite recorded 24 points and 11 rebounds while Ian Kinard added 19 points for the Bulldogs.
How it Happened
- After an alley-oop gave South Carolina State the lead to open the game, Coppin State scored nine-straight points with a dunk by Koby Thomas starting the run which ended in a three by Kamar McKnight.
- After a pair of buckets by the visitors, Thomas had two more dunks to extend the Eagles lead to 13-6.
- A pair of threes from Andrew Robinson and Ibn Williams upped the CSU advantage to nine and Coppin built its largest lead at 34-22 on back-to-back threes by Robinson.
- South Carolina State answered with a three, but Reggie James responded with a triple of his own with 1:09 remaining to make it a 37-25 score.
- The Bulldogs closed out the half on a 5-0 run, including a three by Ian Kinard in the closing seconds to make it a 37-30 ballgame at the half.
- The visitors kept up their momentum out of the break, going on a 13-5 run in the first 3:51 to take its first lead since the opening points of the game at 43-42.
- Two more dunks by Thomas at the 14:39 and 14:14 marks gave CSU a 46-43 advantage and the game stayed within a single possession the rest of the way.
- Dejuan Clayton hit a layup with 1:36 to play, giving Coppin a 73-71 lead but the Bulldogs’ Damani Applewhite tied it up on the ensuing possession.
- Coppin turned it over with a shot clock violation at the other end and South Carolina State scored six-straight points to seal the victory.
Up Next: Coppin hosts MEAC rival Norfolk State at 7:30 pm on Monday, January 6 at the PEC.