1. North Carolina A&T (5-1, 3-0): A&T showed why it was picked to win the MEAC title on Saturday, as it’s defense and Tarik Cohen came through in the fourth quarter, stopping BCU from picking up another close win.
2. Grambling (5-2, 5-0): We knew Grambling could score with Alcorn, but we didn’t know if the defense could stop it from scoring. A blocked PAT in OT proved to be the difference as Grambling is once again on top of the SWAC.
3. Alcorn State (4-2, 3-1): The loss to Grambling stings, but not as much as a loss to a division opponent would have.
4. Bethune-Cookman (4-2, 3-1): The Cardiac Cats pulled out yet another close game against SC State last Thursday. Things don’t get any easier this week as they travel to Greensboro to play A&T.
5. South Carolina State (3-3, 2-1): SCSU took care of business against Howard, keeping pace with Morgan, BCU, NCCU and Norfolk State with one conference loss each.
6. Prairie View (4-2, 3-1): Prairie View’s win over Southern means the SWAC West is still a three-team race at this point.
7. Southern (3-3, 3-1): Saturday was a worst-case scenario for Southern as its loss plus Grambling’s win ties it with Prairie View for second behind their Northern Louisiana rivals.
8. Hampton (4-3, 2-2): Hampton’s upset of Morgan State gives it a two-game winning streak after a two-game losing streak. HIU is once again looking like a team that could hurt some teams in the MEAC.
9. Morgan State (3-2, 3-1): As we said last week, Morgan benefited from an easy early conference schedule. We’ll have to see how they respond to getting knocked down against Hampton.
10. North Carolina Central (3-3, 2-1): NCCU is a talented team that has shown a tendency to play up or down to its opponents this season. We’re still waiting to see who the real NCCU is. Maybe we find out this week.
/ 3 days ago
Virginia State knocks off Bowie State in a homecoming shootout.
/ 1 week ago
Johnson C. Smith gave Winston-Salem State a scare but was unable to end its...