|Maurice Lewis and Winston-Salem State posted a 14-1 record in 2012. (WS Journal Photo)|
Sheridan Broadcasting Network released its annual pre-season Black College Football poll with familar names at the top. Winston-Salem State, the defending CIAA Champions and Division II football runner up, topped the list, picking up 19 of 30 votes. Defending MEAC champion Bethune-Cookman finished second in the poll with nine votes, first among Division I schools. Check out the entire list below.
Sheridan Broadcasting Network Black College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record
1. Winston-Salem State Rams (19) 14-1
2. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (9) 9-3
3. Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions (2) 10-2
4. Tuskegee Golden Tigers 10-2
5. Tennessee State Tigers 8-3
6. North Carolina A&T Aggies 7-4
7. Jackson State Tigers 7-5
8. Alabama State Hornets 7-4
9. Howard Bison 7-4
10. South Carolina State Bulldogs 5-6
Others receiving votes (in order of points): Alabama A&M 23, Miles College 19, Elizabeth City State 17, Norfolk State 11, Fort Valley State 8.
My only beef is with Tennessee State at number four. The Tigers have a case to be made for as high as second, considering it beat every HBCU it played and plays in the strongest conference of any Division I HBCU. TSU will have its chance to prove the voters wrong on Sept. 1 when it meets up with BCU.