Courtesy: Alabama State Athletics
NEW ORLEANS, La. | Alabama State fell behind following doubles action, only to storm back and capture their third consecutive Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) championship with a 4-1 victory over Alabama A&M at the Pepsi Tennis Center Sunday afternoon.
After Alabama A&M clinched the doubles point with a win at number one doubles, the Hornets seized control early in singles action and won all four matches in straight sets. Ion Efrim – the Tournament MVP – cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 victory at number; before Alexis Collard, Tomas Fernandez and Alejo
Anuk Christiansz was named the Coach of the Year, while Fernandez, Calvis and Juan Rodriguez all joined Efrim on the All-Tournament team.
Alabama State will find out their opponent and destination on the NCAA Selection Show April 29.
Alabama State 4, Alabama A&M 1
April 14, 2019
New Orleans, La. (Pepsi Tennis Center)
1. Ion Efrim (ASU) def. Hsiang Yi Wang (AAMU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Chris Andre (ASU) vs. Nishangan Nadaraja (AAMU), unfinished
3. Alexis Collard (ASU) def. Fermin Ruiz (AAMU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Tomas Fernandez (ASU) def. Rodrigo Arana Rios (AAMU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Juan Rodriguez (ASU) vs. Shakir Elvin (AAMU), unfinished
6. Alejo Calvis (ASU) def. Cheng Chang (AAMU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Wang/Chang (AAMU) def. Efrim/Collard (ASU) 6-3
2. Rodriguez/Andre (ASU) vs. Nadaraja/Elvin (AAMU), unfinished
3. Bigott/Rios (AAMU) def. Fernandez/Luckmann (ASU), 6-3