It has been two weeks since we dropped our initial D2 power rankings, and we are now two weeks away from the conference tournament season. So it seems like a good time for an update.
Men’s Power Rankings
1. Morehouse (20-1, 15-1): Last week’s win against Clark Atlanta certified this as a no-brainer, however, Morehouse did suffer a big loss in that game that could come back to haunt it later.
2. Clark Atlanta (20-3, 14-2): This tells you how good the SIAC East Division has been, second place in this division is worth second place in our national rankings.
3. Virginia State (20-3, 10-3): After a pair of defeats in late January, VSU has re-asserted itself as the team the rest of the field is chasing in the CIAA North.
4. Claflin (19-6, 12-5): A close loss against Benedict aside, you beat the top two teams on this list back-to-back and are on the cusp of 20 wins…you are not missing this list.
5. Johnson C. Smith (17-8, 10-3): Smith saw its nine-game winning streak snapped on Monday night, but that was on a tip-in as time went off. But it still sits atop the CIAA Southern Division with the likely CIAA Player of The Year in Robert Davis.
Honorable Mention: Benedict, Shaw
Women’s Power Rankings
1. Virginia Union (22-2, 12-1): Despite dropping a game to Chowan last week, the Lady Panthers are still atop this list.
2. Virginia State (20-3, 10-3): Second best team in Virginia, the CIAA North, the CIAA and the country.
3. Central State (19-5, 13-3): Currently the top team overall in the SIAC West.
4. Clark Atlanta (15-7, 13-2): Currently on a six-game winning streak.
5. Lincoln (PA) (15-7, 9-4): Fourth in the CIAA North is still good for fifth on this list.