HBCU NFL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
For NFL games of January 9 – 13, 2021
– # 97 JAVON HARGRAVE, DT, Philadelphia (6th season, SOUTH CAROLINA STATE) – In 32-6 win over Atlanta, Hargrave was a terror with six tackles, three solos, two sacks for -20 yards and three quarterback hits. He was in on 40 plays on defense (56%) and one play (4%) on special teams.
– # 72 TERRON ARMSTEAD, LT, New Orleans (9th season, ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF) – The all-Pro offensive tackle was in on 62 offensive plays (100%). Saints won 38-3 win over Green Bay. With Jameis Winston at quarterback, ran for 171 yards and passed for 148 yards of offense. Green Bay had two sacks.
– #80 CHESTER ROGERS, WR, Tennessee (5th season, GRAMBLING STATE) – Led Titans with six receptions in six targets for 62 yards (10.5 yards per catch) in 38-13 loss to Arizona. Had one kickoff return for 14 yards. Was in on 39 offensive plays (61%) and 10 special teams’ plays (37%).
OTHER TOP HBCU NFL PERFORMANCES
– #71 TYTUS HOWARD, OG, Houston (3rd season, ALABAMA STATE) – Playing in his first game at left offensive guard, got in on 78 offensive plays (100%) in Texans 37-21 win over Jacksonville. The Texans rushed for 160 yards and two TDs and passed for 291 yards and two TDs. The Jaguars had just one sack of QB Tyrod Taylor.
– #78 TRENT SCOTT, OT, Carolina (4th season, GRAMBLING STATE) – Got in on seven plays on offense (11%) and four plays on special teams (14%) in 19-14 win over the New York Jets.
– #39 TRENTON CANNON, RB, Baltimore (4th season, VIRGINIA STATE) – Two carries for five yards and one special teams’ tackle in 33-27 overtime loss to Las Vegas. Cannon got in on nine plays on offense (13%) and 15 plays on special teams (47%).
– #53 DARIUS LEONARD, LB, Indianapolis (4th season, SOUTH CAROLINA STATE) – In 28-16 loss to Seattle, had five solo tackles and a forced fumble. Leonard played on all 54 defensive plays (100%) and four special teams’ plays (17%).
– #90 GROVER STEWART, DT, Indianapolis (5th season, ALBANY STATE) – In 28-16 loss to Seattle, had four total tackles, three solos and one assist with one hit on the quarterback. He was in on 44 plays (81%) on defense and six on special teams (25%).
– #7 JAMIE GILLAN, P, Cleveland (3rd season, ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF) – Punted only one time for 52 yards. Dropped a punt snap in Browns territory with Cleveland up 29–27 in fourth quarter. Led to go-ahead TD for Kansas City in 33-29 loss . Gillan was in on five special teams’ plays (21%).
– #27 BOBBY PRICE, S, Detroit (2nd season, NORFOLK STATE) – No stats. In on 27 special teams’ plays (87%) in 41-33 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.
– #33 ANTONIO HAMILTON, DB, Arizona (6th season, SOUTH CAROLINA STATE) – Signed late by Arizona after being released by Kansas City. Did not have any stats. Got in on three plays on defense (5%) and 17 plays on special teams (63%).
– #41 ANTONIO LEVINE SR., DB, Baltimore (8th season, TENNESSEE STATE) – In 33-27 loss in overtime to Las Vegas. Levine had one special teams’ tackle and was in on 27 special teams’ plays (84%).
– # 75 BRANDON PARKER, OT, Las Vegas (4th season, NORTH CAROLINA A&T) – In 33-27 overtime win vs. Baltimore, Parker played on five special teams’ plays (16%).