1. Lenard Tillery, Southern – A Louisiana native, very powerful running style mainly north and south type of running back. A former walk-on, Tillery has dominated the SWAC for the last two seasons. He won the SWAC rushing title with 197 carries 1,211 yards following with 14 touchdowns! If those numbers do not scare you at all just watch what he will do in his last season as a Jaguar.
2. Martinez Carter, Grambling – Growing up rough in the Monroe, Louisiana area this young man has a point to prove every time he steps on the field. Carter had an impressive sophomore season sharing the ball with fellow teammate Jestin Kelly. Carter finished the season off with 111 carries 876 yards with 9 touchdowns. They call him “Mr.Excitement” on the field, and judging by the elusive speed he possesses the SWAC will see why.
3. Jestin Kelly, Grambling – A Louisiana native from Port Allen was a linebacker/running back at Port Allen high school. Not a very speedy guy when you get him out in the open field, but more of a goal line stance running back that fights for the end zone. Kelly finished last season with 720 yards and 4 touchdowns. Keep your eyes on him and Carter sharing the backfield for Grambling.
4. Khalid Thomas, Alabama State – Hailing from Tallahassee Florida, had a breakout season last year for the Hornets, with carrying the ball over 150 times and rushing for 720 yards and 5 touchdowns. Thomas also led the Hornets in receptions with 33 catches out the backfield.
5. Brad Woodard, Texas Southern – A Texas native from Dickinson, this is a sleeper/wild card pick. Watching tape–one word explains him: QUICK! When Woodard gets out into the open field no one in the SWAC can catch him. There were a few problems he faced last year – fumbling and east/west style of running. Woodard had a big game against Alabama State last season with 16 carries, 130 yards and a touchdown. In total Woodard finished the season with 414 yards with two touchdowns! Those numbers do not scare you at all! Please be on the lookout for this guy heading into his second season he will be ready!
-Written by Robert Harris