North Carolina A&T over Alabama A&M: AAMU will put up a good fight, but the A&T defense will be too much for its offense to handle.
Sam Houston State over Alabama State
Alcorn State over Virginia University of Lynchburg: John Gibbs should have a field day throwing against a Keith Lewis-less VUL secondary.
Louisiana-Lafayette over Southern: Louisiana-Lafayette routed Southern last year even though the Jags were eventually the SWAC Champs.
Lamar over Grambling State
Jackson State over FAMU: This game could go either way, but in Jackson with no Marching 100, we’ll take JSU.
Texas State over UAPB
Prairie View over Texas Southern
East Carolina over North Carolina Central
Monmouth over Delaware State
South Carolina State over Benedict
Eastern Michigan over Morgan State
Middle Tennessee State over Savannah State
Old Dominion over Hampton: Connell Maynor will make a difference at Hampton, but his team is no where near ready for ODU.
FIU over Bethune-Cookman: BCU beat FIU last year, but it also stumbled in its season opener against Tennessee State. FIU has had a year to think about that loss, and they will be ready.
Week One FCS Power Rankings:
1) Tennessee State: The Tigers are loaded on offense and defense. Look for them to make a run at the Ohio Valley Championship and return to the playoffs.
2) Bethune-Cookman: BCU may have lost some talented players, but Brian Jenkins’ squad isn’t ready to relinquish its MEAC crown yet.
3) South Carolina State: There may be some questions about the Bulldogs’ offense, but they have a scary pass rush with Andrew Carter and Alex Glover.
4) Prairie View: We know Prairie View can score, but will its defense allow it to take charge in the SWAC?
5) North Carolina A&T: Running back Tariq Cohen and a steady defense will keep A&T in the MEAC hunt, but a solid passing game could put it over the top.